Join the Milwaukie holiday tradition of decorating umbrellas and parading through downtown ending with the lighting of the tree on Sat., Dec. 2, 2023. If you don’t know what this event is all about watch an amazing video on YouTube of the 2018 event(link is external). Don’t have a lot of time? Check out a time lapse video of the 2019 event(link is external)!
Here is all you need to know about the Umbrella Parade:
- The parade will convene in the South Downtown Plaza near the Post Office at 11222 SE Main St. (Keep in mind that Main St. will be closed from Washington St. south to 21st Ave. for the staging beginning at 2 p.m.)
- Everyone is welcome to decorate an umbrella and participate in the parade. No pre-registration is required.
- The parade will begin at 4:30 p.m. All participants who want to be part of the umbrella decorating contest must arrive by 4:15 p.m.. The parade then travels north for four blocks on Main St. ending at Historic City Hall (10722 SE Main St.) where the tree will be lit around 5:15 p.m. All festivities will conclude at 6 p.m.
- Categories include Most Creative, Most Festive, and Most Milwaukie. When you arrive, look for the sign of the category that you want to be judged in and line up behind the sign. Each category includes prizes for both adults and children. All prizes will be awarded at just before the tree is lit at Historic City Hall.
- Cookies, cocoa, cider, and flan will be handed out at Historic City Hall after the parade.
Win great prizes for best decorated umbrellas.
Getting to the event: